Beverly Owens
As much as I love drinking coffee, I love the art that I find with a coffee theme.I'm particularly fond of the print featured below showing indigenous mountain folk picking the coffee cherry off of the trees during the harvest time. It is inside this red little pod that turns the color of a cherry that the beans are found. The coffee cherry will be glossy and firm when it is time to be picked.

Although the coffee beans can be picked by a machine, it is better that they are hand-picked so that only the ripe coffee cherries come off of the tree. The unripe cherries can be left until they reach their full potential on the next round through. It is less cost effective to pick by hand during the harvesting season but the best coffee always comes from doing it the old fashioned way with people like the ones in the picture above carefully choosing the most ripe beans to put in their basket.

The art print above makes me think of  Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee. I wonder if it, at least,  used to be harvested in this same manner. It would seem a real shame to have the beans stripped by machines and loose the unripe ones in the process.
0 Responses